Thursday, October 27, 2016

Halloween Fun ~ A Pumpkin's Wish Part 4

A Pumpkin's Wish

By: C.L. Collar

Part 4

       "Hi, Sadie! Surprise. I was so happy when Grandma told me that you were entering this contest. I just had to fly home and see what you had done. I was afraid you weren't going to make it. I saved the best spot for your Jack. Come over here and place your Jack-o-Lantern on this pedestal."
            Sadie couldn't believe her eyes. There stood, Shelia, wearing a gorgeous Cinderella costume beckoning her to bring her Jack-o-Lantern creation forward. Great, she thought, where were you when I needed your help carving this silly thing? You could have come over to the house and carved it yourself and saved me a lot of worry. And then we would have won this stupid contest and had the money for Grandma's medicine.
            The pumpkin in her hand lit up unexpectedly. Sadie smiled as the candle came to life. "That's right," she said to her pumpkin, "it is your time to shine." She walked up to the stage and placed her Jack where her sister pointed then stepped back behind it.
            Another familiar voice's words floated to her ears. "It is your time to shine, too," it said. "If your sister had been here, then you would never have tried to carve me and never given either one of us a chance to see what we could be. Thank you."
            "Wow!" said Shelia. "You did a fantastic job. Where did you ever come up with such a unique idea?"
            Sadie hugged her sister and grinned bigger than any Jack-o-Lantern on the stage. "Oh, I had a little help from a friend," she said.
            Shelia smiled down at her little sister. "I always knew you had it in you." she said.
           "I'd better get off of here so they can begin the judging. I don't care who they pick, I think yours is the best Jack-o-Lantern I have ever seen. Good luck."
            Sadie looked down at her Jack and smiled. "So do I," she said to herself."
                 
                  The judging began. All three judges carefully studied each Jack-o-Lantern, whispering to each other the pros and cons of every piece. Finally, they finished and the head judge, Mr. Hensly, the school's art teacher, stepped to the podium to announce the winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment