Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A Pumpkin's Wish Part 2


A Pumpkin's Wish
By: C.L. Collar
Part 2

          Sadie looked around the room. Was someone playing a Halloween joke on her? "Whoever you are, this is very clever of you, but I'm not afraid. Come out so I can see you."
            Sadie waited, holding her breath and trying to look brave at the same time.
            "It's only me, your forgotten pumpkin, that is in this room with you. Now for the love of Peter, Peter the pumpkin eater, would you sit back down and carve me!" The exasperated plea came from the pumpkin's jagged mouth.
            Sadie sat back down. 'Well," she said. "If you want to be carved that badly then why don't you tell me what you want to become?" If this were a trick then maybe it would be to her advantage to play along. It might help her come up with a good idea for her project.
            "I get to choose? Oh goody, goody. Now let me think." The pumpkin sat there mumbling to itself and squinting her cat eyes. Finally her pointy mouth smiled. "I've got it! I want to be turned into a beautiful coach like the one in Cinderella.
 That would be so divine. I would really love that."
            Sadie frowned down at the orange ball. "I am not a fairy godmother, so how in the world do you think I can turn you into a beautiful coach?"
            The pumpkins mouth slumped and its cat eyes drooped. "You did ask and that is what I want to be. I know you can't really turn me into a carriage like Cinderella's, but you could carve a picture of one on me. Couldn't you?"
            "I could try, but I don't have the talent my sister has. It won't look anything like Cinderella's carriage. It will probably look more like an old hay wagon."
            "Would you at least try?"
            "I don't know. I only have until sunset and it's already four o'clock. That gives me only two hours."
            "Please," the cat eyes sat there begging much like the famous plea of Puss in Boots.
            "Okay," said Sadie. "I guess it would be original, but I don't think I can do it well enough to win."
            "I'll help you," said the pumpkin through a toothy grin. "Just wipe off this ridiculous face you gave me and pick up the carving knife. My spirit will help guide your hand."
            Sadie didn't really want to wipe off the face. She had enjoyed chatting with the unusual pumpkin. Once the mouth was gone, what would happen? 
          "Are you sure you want me to wipe off your face? You won't be able to talk to me when I do."
            "Yes, said the pumpkin, "I will. I will guide you through your hands. Just wipe off the face and begin to carve. Trust me. I am going to find the artist that is hidden in you and bring her out to the surface. If you don't try, you will never know what you are capable of."

No comments:

Post a Comment