Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Life of a Bench


The Life of a Bench

By C. L. Collar


Spring

Spring has sprung! I sit in the park and watch the trees slowly transform from dead like sticks into gorgeous waves of emerald green leaves. My friends, the butterflies and bees, have returned to feed off of the brightly colored tulips and daffodils growing around my feet. Silly little ants crawl up my legs and onto my seat looking for lunch. Speaking of lunch, I wonder who will share theirs with me today?



It is Silly Gilly. His name is really Gilbert, but I call him Silly Gilly. He comes almost every day, dressed is his low dollar suit to sit a spell and have lunch with me. He loosens his tie, then unbuttons his shirt to feel the freedom of being outdoors. He complains about his job. He tells me how he wishes he could find a job where he could work outside in the nice fresh air instead of his stupid cubicle. I’m not really sure what a cubicle is, but it sounds like some kind of jail. Next he does the silliest thing ever. He feeds all of his lunch to the birds.


Summer

Yeah! It is summertime! I sit in the park and watch the children running like maniacs everywhere. The sun beats down on my newly painted boards. They gleam with a brilliant white glow. I am so excited! What will I be today? Yesterday, I was transformed  into a Broadway stage by two very talented young ladies. I giggled as they took turns tap dancing and singing, on my seat, tickling my boards. I hope I get to play with some boys today.

Here comes Jimmy and James. I love to play with them. What will we do today? Oh boy!
I get to be a pirate ship. Jimmy hoists my sail by tying his coat onto a broken branch and tucking it between my back and seat. James sets his bike upside down on my seat. The front tire is now steering me into the deep blue sea. I love summertime!

Fall

Fall is here. I sit in the park and feel the cool rain wash across my back and slide down onto the ground. All of the grime and dirt are gone and I feel renewed. The smell of autumn fills the air. The scent of hot chocolate and cinnamon buns, float on the breeze to my spot in the park. The summer flowers fade into the ground as new bright marigolds and pansies take their place. The trees are putting on their brilliant color show. I watch the subtle change from emerald green to deep purple, bright orange and brilliant yellow. I am amazed.

Molly comes everyday at three o’clock to sit and have a talk. I think that she is beautiful, but she does not. She tells me that she is plain and ugly and getting older every day. She doesn’t think that she will ever find someone to love her. I try to comfort her by softening my seat and hugging her just a bit. It would be really nice if Silly Gilly and her would come at the same time. I think they would make a lovely couple, but alas, that is out of my control.

Winter

Winter has come. I sit in the park and watch the snow gather on my boards. The snowflakes are pretty in their own way. The park is still and quiet. The trees have become barren sticks again. A few birds have stayed and it is nice to hear them singing even when the weather is bitter cold. Birds seem to be very happy creatures. I watch the squirrels run here and there, trying to find more nuts to fill their winter stash.

Very few people come to visit me in the winter. Most of the time I sit here alone as the ice forms a crust on my seat and the harsh wind peels the paint from my back. I sit in silence patiently waiting for my lovely people to return. I am lonely.

Spring

Spring has sprung! I sit in the park and watch the trees slowly transform from dead like sticks into gorgeous waves of emerald green leaves. My friends, the butterflies and bees, have returned to feed off of the brightly colored tulips and daffodils growing around my legs. Silly little ants crawl up my legs and onto my seat looking for lunch. Speaking of lunch, I wonder who will share theirs with me today?

4 comments:

  1. Very moving, Cathy! Let’s have lunch today at the park. I’ll bring the tea and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Lorraine. I will bring pizza and a coke. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post this is, Cathy! You are so imaginative and creative. I felt like I was the bench experiencing all the joys and sorrows and seasons. I truly enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing your beautiful prose. Best regards, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and sitting on my bench with me, Janice. I hope it made your day a little brighter. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete