Sunday, April 12, 2015

Tessy's Tale ~ The Buzz Worm

Since the snakes are starting to slither around, I decided to share this Tessy's Tale ~
She learned a lot about snakes in this one. 

Tess the Mess and 
The Buzz Worm

Hellooooo! It’s Tess! I’m Back!
I don’t know if I have ever told you this, but I use to live in the city. Yes, I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. I had a bad habit of escaping from my yard because I am a little ADHD and a lot claustrophobic. I was about to meet my maker when my new mama rescued me and brought me out to the farm. I was given my freedom on 250 acres of pure heaven and now I enjoy every day runnin and huntin and explorin.
I had a new family and a new pack. Big Black Mama, Shadow, tried to teach me all about the dangers of country livin but with my ADHD I really didn’t catch it all so when I first heard this crazy buzzin sound coming out of the bush, I thought it was just another fun critter to play with. Boy was I ever wrong.
I was trottin along stickin my nose in bush after bush lookin for a nice fat rabbit to chase or a bug ugly rat to kill. I absolutely HATE rats because they try to steal our food. Mom & dad are very proud of me when I kill the rats. I get praise and petted, and sometimes extra food, oh sorry; the ADHD took over there for a minute. Anyway I was huntin and wasn’t finding much of anything. The dry, hot Texas weather made it hard for my fine tuned weapon, my nose, to work properly. I had just found a nice big sage bush. Surely there is somethin’ in here I thought as I stuck my nose deep into the stickery plant.
My nose didn’t smell a thing, but my super sonic ears sure heard the weird sound comin out of that bush. I stepped back to assess the situation, I sat there and listened and looked at that bush for a very long time. Nothin came out and nothin’ made a sound. I slowly stuck my nose in again. buzzzzz. I quickly yanked my head out of the bush. What on earth was makin that strange sound? I HAD TO KNOW!
I took my paw and very cautiously clawed at the bush. You have to be very cautious in the country. That is what Big Black Mama, Shadow, keeps tellin’ me. I did remember that. As my paw hit the bush another buzzzz came from the critter hidin there, only this time it was waaaaay louder, louder than any buzzzin I had ever heard before. My ADHD got the better of me and I forgot everything that Big Black Mama had said. I dove right into that bush head first with both paws pouncing on that annoyin buzzin thing. I HAD TO CATCH IT!
Just as I was ready to bite, two sharp things hit me right in the dag nab forehead. Dang that hurt! I jumped back and ran as fast as I could to the house to get reinforcements. By the time I got back to the house, I didn’t feel very good so I decided that I had better take a little nap before goin back out after that buzz thing. I didn’t reckon it was goin anywhere anyways. I was about to lay down when Big Black Mama, Shadow, came around the corner.
“Where have you been, honey child? I was worrin about cha.” As I looked up Shadow gasped. “Oh My! Tessy honey, you been bit by a buzz worm.”
“A buzz worm? What the heck is a buzz worm? I asked.
“You know, a rattle snake.”
“It’s just a scratch,” I said. “I’ll just take a nap then we can go kill that nasty buzzin critter.”
“Oh, no, Tessy. That there buzz worm is poisonous. I done told you a dozen times not to mess with snakes. Especially snakes that buzz. If mom or dad don’t get here soon to take you to the vet, you could die.”
“I could WHAT!”
“You could die.”
“What do I do?”
“Just lay still. The more ya move the more that poison will get into your blood. I’ll keep a look out for mom or dad. Whatever you do don’t go to sleep.”
“Okay, “I said. “I’ll stay right here, but I feel so sleepy and my head feels like it is gonna explode.”
“I know, sweety. That’s cause it’s swollen from the buzz worm’s snakebite. You kinda look like a Shar Pei.”
 “A what?”
“You know. One of them wrinkled dogs with the puffy head.”
“That’s just great.” I thought. I’m gonna die lookin like a ugly, fat, wrinkled dog.”
Shadow bounced up. “I hear mom’s car. I’ll go get her. You stay!”
I couldn’t help myself. I jumped right up and followed Shadow so I could show mom what happened. She saw me before she got out of the car. At first I don’t think she recognized me because she kinda gave me a weird look, but when I whined and ran to her she knew immediately what had happed. She helped me into the car and off we headed to see Dr. Angie.
To make a long story short, after getting my head lanced, anyway that is what mom called it, and getting a shot, and havin to stay overnight at Dr. Angie’s, I survived.
And I can tell you this one thing for sure. I will NEVER try to catch another buzz worm, ever, ever, ever again.
Mom posted a picture with this story even though I told her not to. I would prefer you not look at it. 



You looked didn't you?

Written by my mom 
Cathy Lea Collar
Because I don't have thumbs or fingers

4 comments:

  1. Oh Tessy Girl, What are they going to do with you? Looks like your ADHD is getting the best of you. Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you are right, Brenda. lol

      Delete
  2. Poor Tessy Girl! Oh, who these posts about her make me want to give her hugs. Cathy, you sure do have a way to spin a tale! I hope you are planning to write a children’s book about all of Tessy’s adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Lorraine. Yes, when I get enough of her tales written they will be put into a book. Believe me, she has given me more than enough material to work with. I think she must be part cat, but I have lost count of how many lives she has left.

      Delete